Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Standings.

In the news paper this last week I was reading about how many people are arguing to have a playoff for the best college football teams each year. Right now the teams are voted on by teams and coaches around America and are put into groups by computers catagorized in ways that sometimes are unfair. Let me correct myself. They are NEVER fair. When the last standings of the year come out, it's a complete toss up. Nobody knows who the REAL number one team in College Football is, and no one knows who the 15th best team in College Football is. A number of teams could be undefeated or only have one loss. But how do you know a fair way to stack the teams? Is there one? I myself don't think there is. That's why I think College Football should have a 3 or 4 round playoffs that could make or break your team. If college basketball has "March Madness", why couldn't college football have their own playoffs in January? It's completely the same thing. Upsets can happen every week, and by the end of the tournament, you know if your team deserves to be in that title game. Nobody can say, "Well USC shouldn't have been the National Champion because they lost to Texas in week 2 this year and Texas only had one loss just like Southern Cal!". Nothing like that. If you lost in the playoffs, nobody would care what you had to say and complain about how you should have been in that final game, because quite frankly, if you can't beat so called "underdog teams" (if you're a top seed) then how could you claim to be the best team in College football? Upsets happen all the time, and I think that's why teams that never get into the top 2 or 3 bowl games are pushing hard for this Playoff month just so their team could have a shot. Now I do think that makes the season not as important, but who doesn't want a little extra excitement? I know I do!

This is very much like High School Basketball standings. My basketball team lost tonight at Shakopee High School and are now 10-1. When the section playoffs come and we're supposed to play Shakopee, no matter what our final record was, if we went 25-1 and they went 10-15, we will have to play at their place if we were to meet them in the playoffs because they beat us tonight. I do not think this is fair, though if I were them, I'd probably be thinking how else could we do it? If we beat you, there's no way it'd be fair for you to be seeded over us and have home court advantage. This connects clearly with College football because this year Texas beat Oklahoma, but Oklahoma was in the Championship game against Florida because Texas lost to Texas Tech. Texas did not think this was fair at all and neither do I. PLAYOFFS SHOULD BE IN ORDER! 

No comments: