Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Leadership

An article I read today was titled "The Sports Guy" written by Bill Simmons. It talked about how "naked" the sport of basketball is. No player is shielded by pads or helmets, so we can easily watch every move they make. If or not they run up and down the court or just walk back on defense, if they're playing each possession with heart and passion, whether or not they are giving it their all, and also their facial expressions. Facial expressions are a big key in basketball especially if you're a leader on the team because a lot of the time your teammates, fans, and your coaches are watching your every move and seeing how you react to a play or a call. This will really put a sign over your head, either something good such as: "respectful and positive leader". Or if you have a lousy attitude, people will start to think of you more downwards like a "negative selfish player". Because basketball is so, as Bill Simmons calls, "naked", first impressions matter more than any other sport because they can predict how you will be viewed for the rest of your career. This article connects to my life because now that I am a Sophomore and part of the high school basketball team, I have responsibility not just to be the best player I can be and help my team win, but to do so in a positive way. Today before our captains practice the coaches took aside 2 Juniors and 2 Sophomores who have shown signs of leadership throughout the past year. Together with the 3 senior captains, they explained to us what it meant to be a leader. How it's  not all about telling people what to do and only playing basketball, but how you have to be one with the team and really connect with them on a personal level. Also if some teammates could be doing something differently in games and or practices and you advise them to start working on something else, well if your not a reliable source, meaning if you don't show the team you sacrifice a lot of your time and work on that skill, or show up to practice early to work on foul shots, why do you think they would do it? Because they want to listen to the captain? Well as nice as that sounds that's not reality. Life is not like that and I've SEEN juniors and seniors get into it with their captain because the right steps haven't been taken to help the team chemistry. I'm very glad I was apart of the meeting today. I am a point guard so already I am kind of forced into being a leader; telling guys where they need to be on the court as I bring the ball up and set up a play, etc.  I'm used to the pressure that comes along with being in big games and worrisome situations. I like to take charge and show I can handle these times in the game where it just seems we're doomed for. Everything I do, the attitude I have, and the words that come out of my mouth are all seen by players, coaches, and fans. I know, to continue to be a leader and maybe one day be a captain, I have to stay humble, stay composed in pressure situations, and most of all, stay respectful in my actions just like in the article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're such a well-rounded guy! You're a leader in sports and the choir! Nice Holiday Concert!